Welcome to Mapting. Soka Gakkai International Office for UN Affairs Corporation with offices in New York, USA and Geneva, Switzerland and Earth Charter International with an office in San Jose, Costa Rica are both data controllers of Mapting.
- What kind of information do we collect?
- How do we use information?
- How is information shared?
- What is our legal basis for processing data?
- Data retention, account deactivation and deletion
- How do we respond to legal request?
- How do we operate and transfer data as part of our global services?
- How do you exercise certain rights granted to you depending on your residency?
- How do we notify you of changes to this policy?
- How to contact us with questions?
1.WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
The types of information we collect depend on how you use Mapting. You can learn how to access and delete information we collect by contacting us at www.mapting.org.
1.1 Information you provide
- Information and content you provide. We collect the content, communications and other information you provide when you use Mapting, including when you sign up for an account, create or share content, and message or communicate with others inside Mapting. This can include information in or about the content you provide (like metadata), such as the location of a photo or the date a file was created.
- Data with special protections. You can choose to provide information in your profile or comments about your religious views, political views, who you are "interested in" or your health. These and other information (such as racial or ethnic origin, philosophical beliefs or trade union membership) may be subject to special protection under some specific laws.
- Networks and connections. We collect information about the people, accounts, group and pages you are connected to and how you interact with them in Mapting or that you identify in Mapting, such as people you communicate with most or groups you are part of.
- Your usage. We collect information about how you use Mapting, such as the types of content you view or engage with, the features you use, the actions you take, the people or accounts you interact with and the time, frequency, location and duration of your activities. For example, we log when you are using and have last used Mapting, and what posts, videos and other content you view on Mapting.
1.2 Information others provide about you.
We also receive and analyze content, communications and information that other people provide when they use Mapting. This can include information about you, such as when others share or comment on a photo of you, send a message to you, or upload, sync or import your contact information.
1.3. Device Information
We collect information from and about the phones and other web-connected devices on which Mapting is installed, and we combine this information across different devices you use. For example, we use information collected about your use of Mapting on your phone to better personalize the content or features displayed when you use Mapting on another device, such as your tablet, or to measure whether you took an action in response to content we showed you on your phone on a different device.
Information we obtain from these devices include :
- Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins.
- Device operations: information about operations and behaviours performed on the device, such as whether a window is foregrounded or backgrounded.
- Identifiers: unique identifiers, device IDs, and other identifiers, such as from accounts you use.
- Device signals: Bluetooth signals, and information about nearby Wi-Fi access points, beacons, and cell towers.
- Data from device settings: information you allow us to receive through device settings you turn on, such as access to your GPS location, camera or photos.
- Network and connections: information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address, connection speed and, in some cases, information about other devices that are nearby or on your network, so we can do things like help you stream a video.
1.4 Information from partners and social media
Our partners receive your data when you visit or use their services or through third parties, they work with. We require each of these partners to have lawful rights to collect, use and share your data before providing any data to us.
You may link your Mapting account with the social media accounts you opened with third-party service providers (each such account, a “Third-Party Account”) by either: (1) providing your Third-Party Account login information through Mapting; or (2) allowing us to access your Third-Party Account. By granting us access to any Third-Party Accounts, you understand that we may access, make available, and store (if applicable) any content that you have provided to and stored in your Third-Party Account (the “Social Media Content”) so that it is available on and through Mapting via your account. You can deactivate the connection between Mapting and your Third-Party Account by contacting us using the contact information below or via your account settings. We will attempt to delete any information stored on our servers that was obtained via such Third-Party Account, except the username and profile picture that become associated with your account.
2.HOW DO WE USE INFORMATION?
2.1 Provide, personalize and improve Mapting
We use the information collected to deliver Mapting, including to personalize features and content (including your news feeds, photos, stories etc.) and make suggestions (such as groups or events you may be interested in or topics you may want to connect with) on and off Mapting. To create personalized contents that are unique and relevant to you, we use your connections, preferences, interests and activities based on the data we collect and learn from you and others, how you use and interact with Mapting, and the people, places, or things you are connected to and interested in on and off Mapting and across various third parties media and devices. We use location related information such as your current location, where you live, the places you like to go, and the businesses and people you are near to. Location-related information can be based on precise device location (if you have allowed us to collect it), IP addresses, and information from your and others' use of Mapping (such as check-ins or events you attend). We also use the information collected to develop, test and improve Mapting, including by conducting surveys and research, and testing and troubleshooting features.
2.2 Provide measurement, analytics, and other business services
We use the information collected (including your activity off Mapting, such as the places you visit) to understand who uses Mapting and how people interact with us.
2.3 Promote safety, integrity and security
We use the information we have to verify accounts and activity, detect and prevent spam and other bad experiences, maintain the integrity of Mapting and promote safety and security on and off Mapting.
2.4 Communicate with you
We use the information collected to communicate with you about Mapting, and let you know about our policies and terms. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us.
2.5 Research and innovate for sustainable ways of living
We use the information collected (including from research partners and organizations we collaborate with) to conduct and support research and innovation on topics of respect and care for the community of life, ecological integrity, universal human rights, respect for diversity, social and economic justice, democracy and a culture of peace.
3.HOW IS INFORMATION SHARED?
Your information is shared with others in the following ways:
3.1 People and accounts you share and communicate with
When you share and communicate using Mapting, you choose the audience you share with. You may select the audience for a post, or when you communicate with people, those people can see the content you sent them. Your network can also see actions you have taken on Mapting (such as commenting) or outside of it (such as attending an activity).
The information you post can be seen by anyone, on Mapting, providing they have an account. This includes your username, any information you included in your Mapting profile and previous content you shared. This information can also be seen, accessed, reshared or downloaded by the other users of Mapting and therefore shared through third-party services such as, APIs, and offline media such as TV, and by apps, websites and other services that may integrate with Mapting.
3.2 Content other users share or reshare about you
You should consider who you choose to share content with, as people who can see your activity on Mapting can choose to share it with others on and off Mapting, including people and businesses outside the audience you shared with. For example, when you share a post or send a message to specific friends or accounts, they can download, screenshot, or reshare that content to others across or off Mapting.
If you are uncomfortable with what others have shared about you on Mapting, you can report the content in question by contacting us at www.mapting.org.
3.3 Sharing with third-party partners
We work with third-party partners who help us provide and improve Mapting which makes it possible to provide Mapting to people around the world. We do not sell any of your information to anyone, and we never will. We also impose strict restrictions on how our partners can use and disclose the data we provide.
Here are the types of third parties we share information with:
3.3.1 Partners who use our analytics services
3.3.2 Vendors and service providers
3.3.3 Researchers and academics
3.3.4 Law enforcement, legal needs and legal requests
4. WHAT ARE THE LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING DATA?
We collect, use and share your personal data:
- as per your consent, which you may revoke at any time via Mapting settings on your device;
- as is necessary to comply with our legal obligations;
- to protect your vital interests or those of others;
- to protect the public interest; and
- as necessary to protect our (or others') legitimate interests, including our interests in providing an innovative, personalized, safe service to our users, unless those interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms that require protection of personal data.
5.DATA RETENTION, ACCOUNT DEACTIVATION AND DELETION
We store data until it is no longer necessary to provide our services or until your account is deleted - whichever comes first. This is a case-by-case determination that depends on various factors such as the nature of the data, why it is collected and processed, and the relevant legal or operational retention needs.
When you close your account, we delete Information that others have shared about you is not part of your account and will not be deleted. If you do not want to close your account but want to temporarily stop using Mapting, you can deactivate your account instead. To delete your account at any time, please do so via the Mapting settings at any time.
6. HOW DO WE OPERATE AND TRANSFER DATA AS PART OF OUR GLOBAL SERVICES?
7. HOW DO YOU EXERCISE THE RIGHTS GRANTED TO YOU DEPENDING ON YOUR RESIDENCY?
Depending on your residency you may have certain rights under applicable data protection laws. In particular:
7.1 If you are a resident of the European Economic Area:
GDPR grants you the rights (i) to request access to and obtain a copy of your personal information (ii) to request rectification or erasure (iii) to restrict the processing of your personal data information and (iv) if applicable, the right to data portability.
To exercise your rights, please contact us as detailed below (par.9). We will consider and act upon any request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If we are relying on your consent to process your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note that it will not affect the lawfulness of the processing prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area and you believe you are unlawfully processing your personal information, you also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. You can find their contact details here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data_protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.
7.2 If you are a resident of California:
You are granted specific rights regarding access to your personal information. California Civil Section 1798.83, also known as the “Shine The Light” law, permits our users who are Californian residents to request and obtain from us, once a year and free of charge, information about categories of personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes and the names and addresses of third parties with whom we shared personal information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a Californian resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to us using the contact information provided below.
If you are under 18 of age, reside in California, and have a registered account with Mapting, you have the right to request removal of unwanted data that you publicly posted on Mapting. To request removal of such data, please submit your request in writing to us using the contact information provided below and include the e-mail address associated with your account and a statement that you reside in California. We will make sure that the content is not publicly displayed on Mapting. Please be aware that the data may not be completely or comprehensively removed from our systems and may have been copied in other places on the internet.
8. HOW WILL WE NOTIFY YOU OF CHANGES TO THIS POLICY?
9. HOW TO CONTACT US WITH QUESTIONS?